Re: Response draft for Jan Wielemaker JR8-2/54

On 10 Mar 2009, at 14:12, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:

> From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
> Subject: Re: Response draft for Jan Wielemaker JR8-2/54
> Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 09:37:40 -0400
>

>>> From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
>>> Subject: Response draft for Jan Wielemaker JR8-2/54 (was draft
>>> LC comment FH3/29)
>>> Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 11:19:19 +0100

>> Can we just remove the long paragraph which mentions TriX?  I think I
>> already made the case for why its argument is false,

The argument is absolutely true, at least in the sense that all
proposed (as in worked out in some detail) formats fall, to my
knowledge, to this argument.

>> but I'll repeat it
>> if someone wants.
>
> Please do so.  I don't remember anyone falsifying the claim that
> triple
> serialisations of OWL ontologies are not unfriendly to XML tools.

Even remotely. You've claimed that there *is* a case. But nothing
you've pointed to *demonstrates* the case.

It's certainly impossible with RDF/XML, since you need an unbounded
set of QNames (to represent properties). It seems unlikely, and very
much a hard research question, whether you can do it otherwise.

I'm particularly concerned that you've already admitted a verbosity
tax. It doesn't take a *lot* of extra cruft to make an XML format
rather hard to work with.