Re: normative and non-normative references

On 9 Mar 2009, at 10:39, Michael Schneider wrote:
[snip]
>> If a normative criterion of your spec depends on a reference, then
>> the
>> reference is normative.
>
> I disagree. For me, references can never be normative or non-normative
> themselves.

Who said they were?

> Only the context they appear in can be.

Normative references are those that appear in a normative contexts.

> And since I have tagged
> all non-normative parts of the RDF-Based Semantics clearly as such,
> I don't
> see why I should put additional (redundant!) normativity statements
> to the
> references list.

Because it's very helpful to the reader and not remotely a burden on
the author. It is also common practice.

> But even if I would agree, I really don't see that such a
> separation is easy
> to produce in the RDF-Based Semantics. For example, you say:
>
>> I found some mislabeled refs:
>> 	[OWL 2 Structural Spec]
>
> (Thanks for this. Will fix them!)
[snip]

> And I cannot agree with both of you.

I don't see why a disagreement here means that we can't reach some
sensible decision.

[snip]
> So, there seems to be, at least, no obvious line of separation.

The existence of judgment calls is no reason to forgo making
distinctions.

[snip]
> But I also have a principle concern: I don't want to play with
> normativity
> statements without any necessity. I consider changing something from
> normative to non-normative to be a change in design. Not saying
> anything,
> again, will avoid such problems.

You aren't changing *anything* from normative to non-normative. You
are *labeling* things that were previously unlabeled.

> So is there any requirement to do this separation? Does W3C documents
> require this?

They don't require it, but it is standard practice. I, personally,
would interpret your list as saying that *everything* was referenced
normatively. Indeed, that's why I defaulted to saying everything is
normative. If everything *is* normative, to your mind, great.

A clear example of a non-normative reference would be a reference to
one of the SROIQ papers.

> Otherwise, I don't see why I should change the RDF-Based
> Semantics. I need to see a clear reason for this, and I haven't
> heard any so
> far.

Standard practice. Helpful to readers. Avoids the misunderstanding
that all the references are normative (and thus *must be read* or
conformed to in order to implement the spec).

> The current state is perfectly fine for me, and I don't expect anyone
> to formally object against /not/ having such a distinction. I'm not so
> certain, however, about the other way around...

I wouldn't expect an objection either way.