Re: unhappy responses

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 7:59 PM, Michael Schneider <schneid@fzi.de> wrote:
> [...]

It is different to say that there can be more than one key property,
than to say for any given key property a single individual can have
more than one value. It is the latter she seems to be complaining
about.

I can see her having a question about this. For instance the top
google hit for database keys
http://databases.about.com/cs/administration/g/key.htm says:

>Definition: A database key is a attribute utilized to sort and/or identify data in some manner. Each table has a primary key which uniquely identifies records. Foriegn keys are utilized to cross-reference data between relational tables.

If the key is not functional then the sort order may not be well defined.

I think she would have a better argument about our nomenclature being
confusing if she could cite authoritative sources that define key
properties as functional. Unless someone objects I will follow up with
her along these lines off list.

-Alan