RE: SSFS & Direct Semantics clarification: Invalid or inconsistent literals

Ok, for completeness, to show the difference to the Direct Semantics:
In the RDF-Based Semantics, having the two triples

  (1) :s :p "string"^^xsd:decimal .
  (2) :p rdfs:range xsd:decimal .

is syntactically valid (since it is well-formed RDF) and so has a
semantic meaning in OWL 2 Full. But the graph is in fact semantically
inconsistent, since the "ill-typed" literal "string"^^xsd:decimal
denotes an individual that is not an instance of xsd:decimal
(not even of rdfs:Literal), because "string" is not in the lexical
space of the datatype xsd:decimal; see the 3rd "general semantic
condition for datatypes" in Section 5.1 of the RDF Semantics [1]
("otherwise IL("sss"^^ddd) is not in LV").

There are two interesting bits (interesting at least for those
who care :) ):

(i) Triple (1) alone does not build an inconsistency, but simply makes
an assertion about some individual outside rdfs:Literal. Well,
assertions about non-data individuals are hardly special; the
interesting thing is that in this case the non-data individual
is actually denoted by a literal.

(ii) Even if there are both such triples, this doesn't automatically mean
that this will always lead to inconsistency. The semantic condition
mentioned above only applies to datatypes belonging to the datatype map
being used. For example, the above two triples clearly build an
inconsistency in OWL 2 Full, since xsd:decimal is part of the OWL 2 datatype
map. But xsd:decimal is /not/ a mandatorily part of the OWL /1/ datatype map,
and so the example is OWL 1 Full /consistent/. However, with every
OWL 1 Full interpretation that uses an extended datatype map
containing xsd:decimal, the above example graph will not be satisfied.

(Well, was it me who claimed that RDF-Based semantics is "more intuitive"
in this respect? ;-))

[1] <http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-mt/#defDinterp>

--
Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Research Scientist, Dept. Information Process Engineering (IPE)