Re: Changing Shortnames (proposal)

I do not really mind either way, I must admit, but Michael made a good
point about the M'ter syntax. The two shortnames should be consistent.
Ie, either

owl2-manchester-syntax
owl2-xml-syntax

or

owl2-manchester-serialization
owl2-xml-serialization

the only point is that 'owl2-manchester-serialization' is quite a
mouthful for a short name:-)

Ivan

Rinke Hoekstra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 1 jun 2009, at 11:43, Michael Schneider wrote:
>> * suggest to rename "owl2-xml-serialization" to "owl2-xml-syntax"
>
> -1
>
> The document itself consistently talks about an XML serialization for
> OWL 2.
>
> -Rinke
>
>> * suggest to do no other changes
>>
>> See below for discussion.
>>
>> Sandro Hawke wrote:
>>
>>> 1. owl2-overview                Document Overview
>>> 2. owl2-syntax                  Structural Specification and
>>> Functional-Style
>>>                                Syntax
>>>
>>>          Seems quite misleading to me.  I propose "owl2-structures",
>>>          but I could live with owl2-ssfs or owl2-ssafss.
>>
>> I am also not perfectly happy with "owl2-syntax", but can well live
>> with it,
>> since
>>
>>  (a) the document /is/ all about the specific syntax of OWL 2;
>>
>>  (b) given the RDF Mapping document it is pretty clear
>>      that the document isn't about RDF syntax;
>>
>>  (c) I do not see really good alternatives.
>>
>> I would consider it worse to use "owl2-specification", as we currently
>> do in
>> our references:
>>
>>  <http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/References/ref-owl-2-specification>
>>
>> For me, the specification of OWL 2 is the whole suite of the
>> documents, or
>> at least the technical/normative part.
>>
>> I would also not be very happy with "owl2-ssafss", I rather want to see a
>> readable shortname, from which I can make some sense.
>>
>> So +0.5 to owl-syntax.
>>
>>> 3. owl2-mapping-to-rdf          Mapping to RDF Graphs
>>> 4. owl2-semantics               Direct Semantics
>>>
>>>          I think now that we also have rdf-based-semantics, this
>>>          should be owl2-direct-semantics.
>>
>> +1
>>
>>> 5. owl2-rdf-based-semantics     RDF-Based Semantics
>>> 6. owl2-test                    Conformance
>>>
>>>          I assume this should be owl2-conformance now.
>>
>> +1
>>
>>> 7. owl2-profiles                Profiles
>>> 8. owl2-primer                  Primer
>>> 9. owl2-new-features            New Features and Rationale
>>> 10. owl2-quick-reference         Quick Reference Guide
>>>
>>>          I'd prefer owl2-quickref, personally, although
>>>          owl2-quick-reference is fine.
>>
>> I'm happy with the current name. And it's still not the longest
>> "shortname".
>> :)
>>
>>> 11. owl2-xml-serialization       XML Serialization
>>>
>>>          Why did we put "serialization" there?  Why not just
>>>          "owl2-xml"?  Maybe there's a reason I've forgotten, some
>>>          other likely meaning for owl2-xml?
>>
>> I'm somewhat neutral. Another alternative would be "owl2-xml-syntax".
>> I can
>> see that it is called both "XML syntax" and "XML serialization" in
>> both the
>> document itself and in the Overview document. Maybe there should be more
>> uniformity.
>>
>> But...
>>
>>> 12. owl2-manchester-syntax       Manchester Syntax
>>
>> I'd say, if we call this "xxx-syntax", then the XML serialization should
>> also be called "xxx-syntax".
>>
>>> 13. owl2-dr-linear               Data Range Extension: Linear Equations
>>> 14. rdf-text                     rdf:PlainLiteral: A Datatype for RDF
>>> Plain
>>>                                Literals
>>>
>>>          Obviously this should change; I suggest rdf-plain-literal
>>
>> +1
>>
>>> That's it.  If we can resolve this at or before this week's meeting, I
>>> think I can make it take effect on this publication round.
>>>
>>>    -- Sandro
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Michael
>>
>> --
>> Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
>> Research Scientist, Dept. Information Process Engineering (IPE)
>> Tel  : +49-721-9654-726
>> Fax  : +49-721-9654-727
>> Email: michael.schneider@fzi.de
>> WWW  : http://www.fzi.de/michael.schneider
>> FZI Forschungszentrum Informatik an der Universität Karlsruhe
>> Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, D-76131 Karlsruhe
>> Tel.: +49-721-9654-0, Fax: +49-721-9654-959
>> Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts, Az 14-0563.1, RP Karlsruhe
>> Vorstand: Prof. Dr.-Ing. Rüdiger Dillmann, Dipl. Wi.-Ing. Michael Flor,
>> Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Wolffried Stucky, Prof. Dr. Rudi Studer
>> Vorsitzender des Kuratoriums: Ministerialdirigent Günther Leßnerkraus
>>

> ---
> Drs Rinke Hoekstra
>
> Leibniz Center for Law      |  AI Department
> Faculty of Law              |  Faculty of Sciences
> Universiteit van Amsterdam  |  Vrije Universiteit
> Kloveniersburgwal 48        |  De Boelelaan 1081a
> 1012 CX  Amsterdam          |  1081 HV Amsterdam
> +31-(0)20-5253499           |  +31-(0)20-5987752
> hoekstra@uva.nl             |  hoekstra@few.vu.nl
>
> Homepage: http://www.leibnizcenter.org/users/rinke

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153