RE: Changing Shortnames (proposal)

Hi!

* agreed to rename "owl2-semantics" to "owl2-direct-semantics"
* agreed to rename "owl2-test" to "owl2-conformance"
* agreed to rename "rdf-text" to "rdf-plain-literal"
* suggest to rename "owl2-xml-serialization" to "owl2-xml-syntax"
* suggest to do no other changes

See below for discussion.

Sandro Hawke wrote:

> 1. owl2-overview                Document Overview
> 2. owl2-syntax                  Structural Specification and
>Functional-Style
>                                 Syntax
>
>           Seems quite misleading to me.  I propose "owl2-structures",
>           but I could live with owl2-ssfs or owl2-ssafss.

I am also not perfectly happy with "owl2-syntax", but can well live with it,
since

  (a) the document /is/ all about the specific syntax of OWL 2;

  (b) given the RDF Mapping document it is pretty clear
      that the document isn't about RDF syntax;

  (c) I do not see really good alternatives.

I would consider it worse to use "owl2-specification", as we currently do in
our references:

  <http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/References/ref-owl-2-specification>

For me, the specification of OWL 2 is the whole suite of the documents, or
at least the technical/normative part.

I would also not be very happy with "owl2-ssafss", I rather want to see a
readable shortname, from which I can make some sense.

So +0.5 to owl-syntax.

> 3. owl2-mapping-to-rdf          Mapping to RDF Graphs
> 4. owl2-semantics               Direct Semantics
>
>           I think now that we also have rdf-based-semantics, this
>           should be owl2-direct-semantics.

+1

> 5. owl2-rdf-based-semantics     RDF-Based Semantics
> 6. owl2-test                    Conformance
>
>           I assume this should be owl2-conformance now.

+1

> 7. owl2-profiles                Profiles
> 8. owl2-primer                  Primer
> 9. owl2-new-features            New Features and Rationale
>10. owl2-quick-reference         Quick Reference Guide
>
>           I'd prefer owl2-quickref, personally, although
>           owl2-quick-reference is fine.

I'm happy with the current name. And it's still not the longest "shortname".
:)

>11. owl2-xml-serialization       XML Serialization
>
>           Why did we put "serialization" there?  Why not just
>           "owl2-xml"?  Maybe there's a reason I've forgotten, some
>           other likely meaning for owl2-xml?

I'm somewhat neutral. Another alternative would be "owl2-xml-syntax". I can
see that it is called both "XML syntax" and "XML serialization" in both the
document itself and in the Overview document. Maybe there should be more
uniformity.

But...

>12. owl2-manchester-syntax       Manchester Syntax

I'd say, if we call this "xxx-syntax", then the XML serialization should
also be called "xxx-syntax".

>13. owl2-dr-linear               Data Range Extension: Linear Equations
>14. rdf-text                     rdf:PlainLiteral: A Datatype for RDF
>Plain
>                                 Literals
>
>           Obviously this should change; I suggest rdf-plain-literal

+1

>That's it.  If we can resolve this at or before this week's meeting, I
>think I can make it take effect on this publication round.
>
>     -- Sandro

Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Research Scientist, Dept. Information Process Engineering (IPE)
Tel  : +49-721-9654-726
Fax  : +49-721-9654-727
Email: michael.schneider@fzi.de
WWW  : http://www.fzi.de/michael.schneider
Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, D-76131 Karlsruhe
Tel.: +49-721-9654-0, Fax: +49-721-9654-959
Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts, Az 14-0563.1, RP Karlsruhe
Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Wolffried Stucky, Prof. Dr. Rudi Studer