Re: A note on "non" and "non-"

On 22 Apr 2009, at 18:12, Boris Motik wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This is one thing that drives me insane about English: why isn't
> there an
> official guide? In many languages you have just one book to consult
> and that's
> it; in English, however, you always have debates. This is inefficient.

To be fair, this is obviously going to be much more difficult to
achieve when the language is spoken by billions of people in many
different countries world-wide (or is that worldwide) -- we can't
even agree (or at least only with great difficulty) on a simple thing
like an ontology langauge, so how can you possibly expect that we
will be able to agree on an incredibly complex matter such as the
correct usage of natural language?

By the way, some of us actually *like* the variety and heterogeneity
engendered by the widespread use of the language -- IMHO it would be
a sad loss if everyone were forced to write and speak in exactly the
same way. (Why stop at standardised writing -- standardised speech
would also be good wouldn't it?)

> I would really prefer to stick with the existing spelling in "my"
> documents. I
> got used to the Chicago Manual of Style, mainly because CMS was the
> first one I
> encountered and, since there is no one official guide, sticking
> with CMS is as
> good a choice as any. I start philosophizing now, I'll just get
> confused and the
> documents will end up all messed up.
>
> Perhaps the choice of the style manual is something that could be
> left to the
> discretion of each editor.

Works for me.

And, entertaining though it has been, perhaps it is time for us to
draw this discussion to a close -- or at least to  move it off list.

Regards,
Ian