RE: Negative Property Assertions (NPAs) in RL

I would also like to add a few words, specifically concerning the
implementation of NPAs in the OWL 2 RL/RDF ruleset. My argument is that this
is a very weak and IMO harmless implementation, and really not an AtRisk
candidate (although I was indifferent about this point at yesterday's TC and
therefore voted "0").

In general, I think it is important to stress that the semantic expressivity
of NPAs in OWL 2 RL/rules is very limited compared to the complete treatment
of NPAs in the Direct Semantics and the RDF-Based Semantics. There are many
things that can happen based on NPAs under these more expressive semantics,
which are simply not possible in RL/rules. A few points to be considered:

(1) The only NPAs that can ever occur in the RL ruleset are those that are
explicitly defined within a given ontology (modulo simple inferred variants,
e.g. by owl:sameAs-based substitution). There is no rule that has an NPA
(or a fraction of the NPA encoding) in its consequent, so NPAs can never be
inferred, unless there are already NPAs defined in the ontology. In
comparison, a lot of NPAs can be entailed under the Direct/RDF-Based
semantics, even if there is not a single NPA explicitly stated in an
ontology (see the example in (2)).

(2) The only interesting semantic effect of an NPA(s p o) under the
OWL 2 RL ruleset is that it leads to immediate inconsistency of an ontology,
when the triple "s p o" can be inferred from the ontology. If "s p o"
cannot be derived, the NPA keeps semantically silent. This kind of
"sleeping killer watchdog" behavior of an NPA in RL/rules is pretty clear
and should rarely lead to confusion. In comparison, under the
Direct/RDF-Based semantics a lot of other, more subtle things can
happen due to NPAs; in particular, the outcome won't always be an
inconsistent ontology.

For example, the following ontology O

  O := {
      :fp rdf:type owl:FunctionalProperty
      :y owl:differentFrom :z
      :x :fp :y
  }

is obviously OWL 2 DL/Full satisfiable, and it OWL 2 DL/Full entails

  |= NPA(:x :fp :z) .

However, this outcome is NOT an outcome from the RL/rules, although
the RL ruleset covers all the features used in the ontology O
(functional properties, different individuals, and property assertions).

(3) The two NPA rules in RL closely resemble the rule "eq-diff1", which
states

  "s owl:sameAs o, s differentFrom o --> false",

but AFAIR no one has ever considered this rule harmful.

Best,
Michael

--
Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Research Scientist, Dept. Information Process Engineering (IPE)