RE: Review of Direct Semantics (ACTION 314)

Boris Motik wrote:

>we
>> >want to
>> >>

>> >But this actually is true: each OWL DL ontology is an OWL 2 DL
>ontology,
>> >and it is therefore an OWL 2 ontology. Hence, I don't really see a
>> >problem with this statement.
>>
>> Yes, you are right. But what I actually had in mind was that we
>> had LC comments on this particular kind of statements,
>> for example LC 28/FH2, which specifically refers to this phrase in the
>> Direct Semantics:
>>
>>   <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-owl-
>comments/2009Jan/0035.html>
>>
>> So, I strongly suggest to change the text here.
>>
>> I can see that, in this particular case, this statement is a rational
>> for the observation that the Direct Semantics is also a semantics for
>> the original OWL DL and OWL Lite. So, that's really good information
>> that people will be happy to learn.
>>
>> Suggestion, why not start the sentence with something approximately
>like:
>>
>>   "Since this semantics in this document is an extension
>>   of the Direct Semantics of OWL 1 ..."
>>
>> IMHO, this will be completely uncontentious for people outside the WG,
>> and will still meet the purpose of the sentence.
>>

>I've changed the sentence to this:
>
>ince each OWL DL ontology is an OWL 2 ontology, this document also
>provides a direct semantics for OWL Lite and OWL DL ontologies; this
>semantics is equivalent to the direct model-theoretic semantics of OWL
>Lite and OWL DL [OWL Abstract Syntax and Semantics].

This minimal rephrasing preserves the original meaning of the sentence,
and now really looks harmless to me.
So I'm fine with this now.
(Ivan?)

Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Research Scientist, Dept. Information Process Engineering (IPE)
Tel  : +49-721-9654-726
Fax  : +49-721-9654-727
Email: michael.schneider@fzi.de
WWW  : http://www.fzi.de/michael.schneider
Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, D-76131 Karlsruhe
Tel.: +49-721-9654-0, Fax: +49-721-9654-959
Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts, Az 14-0563.1, RP Karlsruhe
Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Wolffried Stucky, Prof. Dr. Rudi Studer