Re: review of Document Overview

Thanks for the review. I have implemented most of the suggested
changes. Where there was some comment or disagreement I have
responded in line below.

Ian

On 30 Mar 2009, at 22:20, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:

> 		Review of "Document Overview"
>
> General:
>
> Very close to being suitable for LC.
>
> Abstract:
>
> I don't see any need for the "part 1 of <very large number>"
> section of
> the abstract.

I removed this. If we think that it is useful (?) then it should be
in all documents.

> 1/ Introductio:n
>
> Add:
>
> "This document provides a high-level overview of OWL 2 and serves as a
> roadmap for the documents that define and describe OWL 2."
>
> 2/ Overview:
>
> Could remove the subsection headers, as the subsections are all very
> short.

Sandro and I both think that they provide some useful structure, so I
left them in for now.

> Change "Note that many users ... could ..." to "Most users ... would
> ...".
>
> Figure 1:  RDF-Based Semantics
>
> Remove EdNote on GRDDL.

I did that, because AFAIK we did decide exactly what to do about
GRDDL (see http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/tracker/issues/97). It was
subsequently determined that we can have multiple transforms, and
also that Sandro will develop a suitable XSLT (with some technical
help from Bijan). Others may have a different view?

> 2.2/ Syntaxes:
>
> Remove "It must be emphasized, ...." as it just repeats stuff from the
> previous paragraph.
>
> The table just repeats stuff from Figure 1 - remove it.

We felt that the summary, links and "Purpose" might be useful, so we
left this in for now.

> 2.3/ Semantics:
>
> Add to end of third paragraph:
>
>   ''OWL 2 Full'' is used informally to refer to RDF graphs
> considered as OWL
>   2 ontologies and interpreted using the RDF-based semantics.
>
> Maybe add (although I don't think that it is necessary):
>
>   ''OWL 2 DL'' is used informally to refer to OWL 2 DL ontologies
>   interpreted using the direct semantics.
>
> 2.4/ Profiles:
>
> Remove Figure 2, as it serves no useful purpose.
>
> 3/ Differences
>
> Could remove the subsection headers, as the subsections are all very
> short.
>

> Change "albeit under a possibly different name." to
>        "albeit possibly under different names."
>
> Remove "; it also has a formal equivalence to UML [UML]."
>        This is just *wrong*.
>
> 3.2:
>       Just put this stuff elsewhere (perhaps in Primer).

I significantly shortened the whole of Section 3 and pointed to NF&R
for detailed explanation/documentation.

I also renamed it "Relationship to OWL 1" as this seems more
appropriate and avoids the negative connotations of "differences".

> 4/ Roadmap
>
> All names of documents should link to the document.
>
> Remove the editor's note, as we expect everything to be a WD this
> time.
>
> Document Overview.
>   A guide to the OWL 2 documents and a high-level overview of OWL 2.
>
> Replace the Note: with "(WG Note)" in the two appropriate lines.

Regards,
Ian