Re: Some comments on the Primer document

On 28 Mar 2008, at 15:46, Ivan Herman wrote:

> Peter, Bijan,
>
> I had some (minor) comments on the Primer document:
>
> http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/Primer
>
> which I added as review comments on the wiki. I hope that is all
> right.

Terrific. Thanks!

> Two more things:
>
> 1. although not directly related to the primer document itself, it
> made me realize the small and, in my view, unnecessary
> inconsistencies among the various syntaxes when it comes to the
> names of terms. Things like:
>
> - M'ter syntax: 'DisjointWith', 'SameAs'
> - Functional syntax: DisjointClasses, SameIndividual
> - RDF: disjointWith, sameAs
>
> And there are others, I am sure (I did not check the OWL/XML
> syntax, actually) We still have the liberty of finalizing the names
> of the terms in the M'ter and functional syntaxes and I believe it
> would be beneficial for our 'users' if the terms used were the same
> and spelled the same way whenever possible...

I don't have much to say there.

> 2. I am on record saying that I would like to have Turtle added to
> this document as an alternative (and much more readable) syntax. I
> want to put my money where my mouth is, so I will try to make a
> turtle version of the RDF/XML ontology in the appendix; I hope to
> do that before the f2f. Is that o.k. with you?

Feel free, but I remind you that I'm aiming for automated
translation, so your effort might be wasted work, in some sense. I'm
also still thinking about the particular example and whether it's ideal.

(Indeed, autotranslating the whole ontology is easy, it's doing the
individual fragments that's a bit of a pita..not hard, merely a touch
tedious. If having the whole ontology translated would suffice for
you I can run the owl api and do it.)