Re: Nonstructural restrictions

Hi Uli,

On 28 mrt 2008, at 13:32, Uli Sattler wrote:

>> Hm. Your answer got me a bit confused.. Like Marco, I thought
>> ObjectExistsSelf was not allowed on composed properties at all.
>
> ...and you thought correctly

pfew... glad to hear that!

>> Are you saying they *are* allowed on any class, or just owl:Thing?
>>

> no - all I am saying is that ObjectPropertyReflexive(P) is allowed
> on a composite property, despite the fact that this is equivalent to
> SubClassOf(owl:thing, ObjectExistsSelf(P)) -- but this equivalence
> doesn't mean that
>
> (a) an ontology will contain the latter axiom or
> (b) a reasoner will have to be able to handle such axioms, or in
> general ObjectExistsSelf(.) on composite properties...
>
> This equivalence only shows that ObjectPropertyReflexive(P) *can* be
> viewed as a *special* of an axiom involving a ObjectExistsSelf(.) on
> a composite property...

Ok, that really explains (Carsten's remark helped as well).

>> If so, I guess the description in the syntax document could use
>> some clarification.
>
> ...do you think so? I would think that adding a note "yes indeed,
> this is not a type/oversight" is perhaps useful, but I am not sure
> we really want this explanation in there?

No, indeed. I was merely suggesting that if the Self restriction was
allowed in special cases, that could be mentioned in the syntax doc.
But as I now understand it, there is no such special case, rather some
exception to the general rule, which has its own particular syntax.

Thanks again for the explanation,

-Rinke