Re: ISSUE-100 (rdfall): Should there be valid OWL ontologies that can not be expressed in RDF

On 7 Mar 2008, at 15:09, OWL Working Group Issue Tracker wrote:

> ISSUE-100 (rdfall): Should there be valid OWL ontologies that can
> not be expressed in RDF
>
> http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/tracker/issues/
>
> Raised by: Alan Ruttenberg
> On product:
>
> There are apparently some OWL 1.0 ontologies that are not
> expressible in RDF. This comes as a surprise to some, and I
> initially thought it a bug. So the working group should resolve
> whether it is a design principle of OWL that all OWL ontologies can
> be expressed in RDF, or not.

Doesn't this confuse RDF with RDF/XML? RDF/XML cannot express all RDF
graphs. Some of those graphs are OWL DL ontologies. Many more are OWL
Full (and not OWL DL) ontologies. These can be expressed in RDF
(evidently) but not in RDF/XML. OWL mappings to RDF (and RDF based
semantics) have traditionally been defined in terms of *RDF graphs*,
not RDF/XML. You get to an RDF/XML representation only indirectly
(i.e., via an RDF graph).