comments on Model Theoretic Semantics (was Re: document pubication schedule)

My comment on the Model Theoretic Semantics may surprise some people
-- I find it well written, I can find no obvious bugs in it, and I
have no problem seeing it move to a WD at the soonest point the group
can so decide.   i do note that, like the structural semantics, the
use of authors/contributors may not be consistent with
http://www.w3.org/2001/06/manual/#Editors
   -JH

On Oct 22, 2007, at 4:13 PM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:

> Here are my comments on the three options that Jeremy is outlining.
>
> From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
> Subject: document pubication schedule
> Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 17:21:51 +0100
>
>> We are meant to publish something by early January at the latest.
>>
>> On the table we have a proposal that we basically publish the three
>> member submission docs.
>>
>> Given that Jim and Deb both found that the lack of e-mail
>> discussion was
>> a problem - I wanted to go back to square one and try listing
>> options -
>> and seeing which of these options had some clear support.
>>

>> Option 1:
>> (from telecon - with clear support)
>> Publish member submission documents, with disclaimer indicating that
>> while this are the focus of our discussion they are not yet
>> 'consensus'
>> documents -
>> amendment from HP: perhaps not RDF Mapping
>
> I'm in favour of this one.
>
>> Option 2:
>> (variant of option 1)
>> Publish member submission documents but only those parts for which we
>> already have consensus, with stubs where we don't have consensus yet.
>>
>> I would expect this to emphasis subproperty chains and QCRs as the
>> two
>> main new consensus features
>>
>> I doubt that there would be enough consensus over any part of the RDF
>> Mapping doc to make it worth publishing.
>
> Let's take a closer look at this option.  If you mean consensus that
> each document part is in close to its final form, then I think that
> this
> is way to early to get consensus.  If, however, you mean consensus
> that
> each document part is good enough to publish as a FPWD, then it may be
> reasonable to go this route, provided that it can be done reasonably
> quickly.  (See http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr#first-wd
> for more information about what W3C thinks is appropriate for a FPWD.)
>
> We have had explicit homework since 12 October to read the OWL 1.1
> documents
> (http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-owl-wg/2007Oct/0040.html)
> and we should have done so even earlier.  Thus it should be
> possible for
> thse who have problems with publishing any part of the three documents
> as FPWD to bring forward their problems before the teleconference this
> week.  If there are documents with no significant problems then it
> should be possible to publish them quickly.
>
>> Option 3:
>> My proposal from the telecon, dropped due to no obvious support at
>> the
>> meeting:
>> Start with an OWL 1.1 requirements doc.
>> This would have the advantage of taking the possible readership of a
>> FPWD with us; as opposed to the highly technical member submission
>> docs,
> [...]

it?." - Albert Einstein

Tetherless World Constellation Chair
Computer Science Dept