Re: Introductions

Hi,

I am a Lecturer in the Department of Computing Science at the University
of Aberdeen. I am interested in Description Logic and ontology
reasoning, in particular standard reasoning tasks and query answering
for ontology language extensions (such as datatype, fuzzy, metamodeling
and rule), as well as non-standard reasoning tasks related to ontology
reuse and usability. I developed a datatype group extension of the FaCT
reasoner called FaCT-DG, and co-developed an OWL DL query engine (based
on semantics approximation to DL-Lite) called ONTOSEARCH2 [1].

I helped review the abstract syntax and semantics for OWL, and
co-authored the proposals of the following ontology languages OWL-Eu,
OWL-E, fuzzy SWRL, RDFS-FA and OWL-FA. The OWL-Eu proposal is included
in the W3C note "XML Schema Datatypes in RDF and OWL"
<http://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-xsch-datatypes/> [2]. I help co-coordinate
the OWLED task force on uncertainty [3].  I am a member of the W3C RIF
Working Group, a co-chair of Fuzzy RuleML Technical Group
<http://image.ntua.gr/FuzzyRuleML/> and a member of the RuleML
<http://www.ruleml.org/> steering committee. I co-chaired of W3C
Multimedia Semantics Incubator Group
<http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/mmsem/>, and served as a
co-coordinator of both the Software Engineering Task Force
<http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/BestPractices/SE/> and the Multimedia
Annotation on the Semantic Web Task Force
<http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/BestPractices/MM/> in the W3C Semantic Web
Best Practices and Deployment Working Group
<http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/BestPractices/#Membership>.

My homepage is http://www.csd.abdn.ac.uk/~jpan/, where you can find my
contact information.

I hope that this working group will recommend a well-understood, easy to
use and useful Ontology Language.

I think I can contribute to the datatype and meta-modeling aspects of
the full language, as well as association between the full language and
its tractable fragments.

I would love to but am not yet sure if I could attend the first F2F.

Regards,
Jeff

[1] http://dipper.csd.abdn.ac.uk/OntoSearch/
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-xsch-datatypes/