Re: Introductions

Hi all,

I'm CEO of Sandpiper Software, a small, California-based company focused
on ontology-based software development.  We currently provide a
UML-based tool for ontology development and management, along with a
library of ontologies that our customers use to jump-start their
development process.  Our R&D is currently focused on a next generation
development environment to support ontology-based software engineering,
and also on run-time applications that use a combination of reasoning
capabilities to solve complex event processing problems.  You can read
more about us at http://www.sandsoft.com/.

My background includes over ten years in knowledge representation and
reasoning research and development, with early work using KIF, working
with the Stanford Knowledge Systems Laboratory.  Bob Engelmore was a
founding board member of our company, and Deborah McGuinness is our
chief scientist. My interest in KR&R goes back to the mid-1980's, when I
completed a masters at Stanford in Situation Semantics under Stanley
Peters, though.

 From a standards perspective, I co-chair the Ontology PSIG at the
Object Management Group with Evan Wallace, and am co-author of the
Ontology Definition Metamodel (ODM).  I'm also actively involved in the
W3C's Semantic Web Deployment WG, and participated in both the Semantic
Web Best Practices and Rule Interchange Format Working Groups (until it
clashed directly with SWD).  I also work with the ANSI L8 Metadata
working group (the US contributor to the ISO SC32 metadata community)
and am very interested in bridging the three organizations to improve
communications and effectiveness of the work that we are all engaged in.

My hope for the working group includes supporting some of the extensions
proposed in the OWL 1.1 submission that are really sorely needed to
support the software and information engineering we're involved in,
primarily from a user perspective.  I also represent a growing community
of folks at OMG and elsewhere who are very excited about ontology-based
software engineering and using ontologies as a basis for model-driven
architecture, who need some of the new features described in the
submission but also want to retain the relationship with RDF.

I am hoping to contribute to the development of a MOF metamodel for the
revised OWL standard, as well as provide feedback via the metamodeling
work to the core language developers.  We did this very successfully for
Common Logic, with an end result that both the metamodel and language
benefited from the work in ways we could not have foreseen.  I'm also
interested as a tool developer, user, and ontologist, to facilitate
usability of the resulting language.

Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to attend the F2F, due to
travel and meeting commitments on either side of this meeting, but will
participate remotely.

Best regards,

Elisa