Re: unicode wiki logins

On Mittwoch, 10. Oktober 2007, Sandro Hawke wrote:
> > I am rather sure that MediaWiki supports spaces, accents, and in fact
> > most= =20
> > Unicode characters in user names. At least I have dozens of MW-logins
> > with = my=20
> > true name. This is also the case for article titles. So we actually
> > could=20 just use the natural spelling for everything (for complicated
> > spellings,=20 MediaWiki's redirect pages can help others to find the
> > correct page anyway,= =20
> > even if their keyboard lacks some symbols).
>
> It seems fine with unicode (IRI) titles and page names, but not user
> names.   At least, it didn't work when I tried it.   Do you mind trying
> to help track this down a little?   Maybe it's an extension or
> something.

I just registered as "Markus Krötzsch" and used this login without problems.
Now that's clearly not the limit of UTF8 yet, but Wikipedia also has user
names like "§ǚρωξλ£μĦΦφ≈€ƏΣßÐÆØΞΩų". See [1,2] for some inspiring lists.
Very few characters are generally prohibited in titles, e.g. <, {, #.

-- Markus

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Listusers
[2] http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Listusers

--
Markus Krötzsch
Institut AIFB, Universät Karlsruhe (TH), 76128 Karlsruhe