Re: PRPOSAL to close ISSUE-8

On 13 Dec 2007, at 18:31, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

> On Dec 13, 2007, at 1:24 PM, Uli Sattler wrote:
>
>> On 13 Dec 2007, at 16:04, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
>>
>>> I have had a discussion with Uli about this, and it seems that a
>>> limited form of this would not compromise decidability - e.g. no
>>> binary comparisons other than equality. She said she would write
>>> up a proposal.
>>
>> ...I seem to remember that i agreed to have a think (!) about it
> Yes.
>> - and I had: it seems to me that (i) we would need to "fork" OWL11
>> in a difficult to understand way (i.e., you can either use
>> datatype properties at the end of property chains or, say,
>> comparisons, but not both), and
>
> This doesn't seem in principal different than transitive properties
> and cardinality constraints. Is it? If so, how would you
> characterize the difference?

I partially agree (and thus partially disagree):  the difference
seems to be the complexity of specifying conditions when you may or
may not use properties in subproperty chains: it not only depends on
subproperty axioms, but also on the usage of the datatype properties
in comparisons...i am a bit short of time today and tomorrow, but i
will continue thinking about it...