Re: Fragments - specific proposal

On Dec 10, 2007, at 10:25 AM, Carsten Lutz wrote:

> I feel I am repeating myself, but: I have only said that the tractable
> fragment (whether "fragment" is meant syntactically or semantically I
> don't care) that you have mentioned was not clearly specified. Below
> you say that your fragment "can fall into polynomial with certain
> restrictions" and "those restrictions are what would need design".
>
> This *is* *not* clearly specified. No big problem, as you still have
> enough opportunity to do it. That's all I said. I didn't say anything
> about semantics. Please don't cite me wrongly.

the whole purpose of the WG is to specify the languages we endorse,
very rare that one endorses some existing thing - just as I proposed
that OWL Lite could look a lot like EL++ - with some changes (I'm
thinking mainly of instance stuff which shouldn't effect
polynomiality)  so too could RDFS be ammended - but I don't see it as
my job to prove things that I don't care at all about.
  -JH
p.s. btw, polynomial with respect to what algorithmically?

> [...]
>> clearly can fall into polynomial with certain restrictions (in
>> fact, they are all doable in various datalog and Horn subset)  -
>> those restrictions are what would need design - in the sense that
>> the unrestricted use of the feature set (including the ability to
>> redefine the features in RDF) would clearly be undecidable - the
>> question is can the restrictions be specified simply enough.
>>
>> btw, let me be clear to the some of the assembled, you talk about
>> semantics as if there is only one such thing - I point out that
>> the world include programming language semantics, operationally
>> defined semantics, database semantics, axiomatic semantics and
>> many other things beyond model theory.  I am perfectlt content for
>> the langauge to only specify an operational semantics normatively,
>> and then let researchers determine the formal model-theoretic
>> semantics.  So when you or Peter says the language is not defined,
>> you are wrong, it is carefully designed against the operational
>> semantics clearly specified in the OWL 1.0 documents.  Since I
>> defined it as an OWL Full subset, I would point out that it is
>> also formally defined through the OWL Full (RDFS) semantics.
>>
>> To reach consensus, I've expressed a willingness to see us work on
>> a more formal semantics for a restricted subset of this.  FWIW,
>> I'd personally be happier seeing us just define this as a named
>> subset of OWL Full w/o proof of complexity or model-theory, it was
>> my feeling from the WG f2f minutes and parts I heard, that some in
>> the group could not live with it.
>>
>> But just so we're totally clear - the RDFS 3.0 that I proposed is
>> a fully defined language with all the semantics it needs (from the
>> OWL 1.0 and RDF documents) - so please don't say I haven't defined
>> the language.
>> -JH

>>> Thanks, I know that page. But to me Jim's remark doesn't sound as if
>>> referring to that page.  He says that "There should be a version of
>>> this which is provably polynomial". Since I think that polynomiality
>>> is a very important property for fragments of OWL, I would like to
>>> understand what precisely that version is. Is it the one on the page
>>> you refer to? If not, what exactly does it look like?
>>> greetings,
>>> 		Carsten
>>> --
>>> *      Carsten Lutz, Institut f"ur Theoretische Informatik, TU
>>> Dresden *
>>> *     Office phone:++49 351 46339171   mailto:lutz@tcs.inf.tu-
>>> dresden.de *
>>
>> "If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research,
>> would it?." - Albert Einstein
>>
>> Prof James Hendler http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~hendler
>> Tetherless World Constellation Chair
>> Computer Science Dept
>> Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy NY 12180
>>

> --
> *      Carsten Lutz, Institut f"ur Theoretische Informatik, TU

it?." - Albert Einstein