Re: ISSUE-77 (Horn-SHIQ): Extending Horn-SHIQ

On Mittwoch, 28. November 2007, OWL Working Group Issue Tracker wrote:
> ISSUE-77 (Horn-SHIQ): Extending Horn-SHIQ
>
> http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/tracker/issues/
>
> Raised by: Bijan Parsia
> On product:
>
> (On behalf of Carsten Lutz.)
>
> Why Horn-SHIQ, and not Horn-SHIQO, i.e., why not include nominals?  I
> know that nothing has been published on Horn-SHIQO, but the difference
> to Horn-SHIQ is not so big, and we have enough (wo)man-power and
> expertise in this group to check whether something breaks
> w.r.t. Hornness and other desirable properties (it shouldn't!).

Yes, this would be useful and also doable. Let me point out that we have
already investigated some formal properties of DLs that are Horn while also
having nominals or other OWL1.1 features, in particular of

* Horn-FL0 & Horn-FLOH [1] (which also gives a definition of Horn-SHOIQ),
* ELRO [2] (this is more in line with the EL discussion, but still a fragment
of "Horn-OWL1.1").

(Note: most of these are "academic fragments" outside
the "which-fragments-discussion" -- don't be alarmed by even more acronyms ;)

Markus

[1] M. Krötzsch, S. Rudolph, P. Hitzler: Complexity Boundaries for Horn
Description Logics. AAAI 2007.
http://korrekt.org/index.php/Complexity_Boundaries_for_Horn_Description_Logics
[2] M. Krötzsch, S. Rudolph, P. Hitzler: Conjunctive Queries for a Tractable
Fragment of OWL1.1. ISWC 2007.
http://korrekt.org/index.php/Conjunctive_Queries_for_a_Tractable_Fragment_of_OWL1.1

--
Markus Krötzsch
Institut AIFB, Universät Karlsruhe (TH), 76128 Karlsruhe