Re: ISSUE-55 (owl:class)

My request in raising the issue was that if we postponed it, we
needed a clear statement as to why the problem exists (and several
people have suggested adding the note that many reasoners change
rdfs:class to owl:class despite the semantic issue) -- saying "
introduces significant and not fully understood technical
difficulties" does not satisfy what I asked this issue to be
addressed for.  Again, in studies of ontologies out there, a great
many OWL Full ontologies become OWL DL with this change, I would
think that it would therefore be incumbent on this group to either
encourage those users to use owl:class (by explaining why they
should) or make it clear they can still work with OWL DL tools if
they don't, but there are certain techniical risks (which I must
admit I still don't understand)
  So if we postpone this issue, which I'm okay with, it requires an
explanation - and that is where I think we (the OWL community) has
failed to date.   In fact, I've been suggesting to my students that
they use rdfs:class in many applications since OWL DL tools fix it,
and RDF-only tools don't reject it...  this is clearly wrong
semantically (Which I explain to the best of my limited ability) but
right from a practical point of view...
   -JH

On Dec 1, 2007, at 3:07 PM, Ian Horrocks wrote:

> I'm tending to postpone this issue on the grounds that it
> introduces significant and not fully understood technical
> difficulties.

it?." - Albert Einstein

Tetherless World Constellation Chair
Computer Science Dept