Re: Extending OWL DL vocabulary

From: "Conrad Bock" <conrad.bock@nist.gov>
Subject: RE: Extending OWL DL vocabulary (was UFDTF Metamodeling Document)
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 17:11:16 -0500

> Peter,
>
>  >  > See http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/OWLMetamodelingExample1.
>
>  >  I ran this file through Pellet 1.5.1 directly.  Pellet 1.5.1
>  >  implements OWL 1.1 metamodelling, as does Pellet 1.4.  I think that
>  >  several other OWL DL reasoners have been upgraded to support much of
>  >  OWL 1.1, as OWL 1.1 has been out for quite some time now.
>
>  >  So it is not surprising that tools support more that OWL DL now.
>  >  Pellet is particularly good at saying just what the input looks
>  >  like.  Here is what Pellet 1.5.1 reports for a slightly modified
>  >  version of the ontology (included below):
>
> I think it's easier for the standard to not rule out extensions of the
> DL vocabulary (nor rule them in either), than it is to explain to users
> that they can still use DL reasoning (subsumption checking, etc) on
> languages wider than OWL DL.

Well, you can use DL reasoning (subsumption checking, etc.) in FOL, but
that is not a reason for OWL DL reasoners to reasoner of all of FOL.  In
any case, a standard is all about ruling things in and ruling things
out.  Extensions are just that, extensions, and thus fall outside of the
standard - a standard has nothing to say about them.

If an ontology includes constructs that are not legal in OWL DL (or OWL
1.1 or OWL Full), then it is not an OWL DL (OWL 1.1, OWL Full) ontology.
Tools can do whatever they want, of course, but it seems to me that
well-behaved UI tools should report inputs that use extensions to
standards, even if the tool can handle the extension.

>  >   <owl:Class rdf:about="http://www.nist.gov/myspace#Foo">
>  >     <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#Class"/>
>  >   </owl:Class>
>
> Missed why you needed to add this.