Re: Use of owl:equivalentProperty with owl:AnnotationProperty

On 17 Jan 2017, at 5:43, Ignazio Palmisano wrote:

> On 17 Jan 2017 13:38, "Svensson, Lars" <L.Svensson@dnb.de> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> This is a newbie question, so please bear with me if the answer is
> obvious
> or has been answered elsewhere...
>
>> From what I can see, the OWL Syntax does not allow axioms stating
>> that two
> annotation properties are equal [1]. Is there a particular reason for
> that
> design decision? My use case is to align two vocabularies and have
> found
> property pairs that are equivalent. I realise that I can use
> owl:subPropertyOf instead but the properties really are equivalent.
>

> You can use two sub property axioms to achieve the same result, but
> the
> main issue is that annotation properties are ignored, to an extent, by
> reasoners.
> I believe also that that might be the reason there is no equivalent
> axiom
> for annotation properties - they don't have the same semantics as the
> other
> properties.

AFAICT you're allowed to pun between an annotation property and
individual
https://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-new-features/#F12:_Punning

So you can make a sameIndividuals axiom about the two IRIs.

In the RDF / OWL full interpretation, they two properties would be the
same.

Might be massively confusing though for the OWL level.

But I suspect this isn't really required. For mapping between
vocabularies you can just roll your own annotation property for saying
two things match, or use the OWL version of SKOS?