Re: Modeling a specific construct - please help

On Sep 11, 2009, at 5:55 AM, Uli Sattler wrote:

> this is a difficult one:
>
> - I assume that Ab, B, and C are individuals, and that 'preceeds' is
> 'directly preceeds' (otherwise, you should *not* conclude that A is
> ConcurrentWith C.
>
> - you can introduce a transitive superproperty 'preceeds-trans' of
> preceeds and find all instances of the class (e.g., via OWL API and
> reasoner or via the DL query tab in Protege 4):
>
> (preceeds-trans value C) or (Inv(preceeds-trans) value C)
>
> if A is *not* in the answer to this query, then you can assume that
> it is ConcurrentWith C.

Well, no, you cannot (validly) conclude this. This is a non-monotonic
inference, which is not supported by the OWL semantics. While it may
work in particular cases where you know that your data is complete in
the required sense, it is not good practice to use such inference
patterns in OWL, as they will (not may, but WILL) break in some cases.
Think building a glass building over a known seismic fault.

Pat Hayes