Re: owl:TopObjectProperty in property chains?

On 28 Aug 2008, at 08:52, Jeff Thompson wrote:

> Thanks for the references!  These are right on target.  I will study
> them.
> In "Tractable Rules for OWL 2", top of page 6, there is the example
> to translate:
>
>  NutAllergic(x) ∧ NutProduct(y) → dislikes(x, y)

>  NutAllergic ⊑ ∃RNutAllergic.Self
>  NutProduct ⊑ ∃RNutProduct.Self
>  RNutAllergic ◦ U ◦ RNutProduct ⊑ dislikes
>
> I'm temporarily gratified that this has the use of the universal role
> in a role chain, similar to my original example (hence the name of
> this
> thread).  But as I study the paper, I suspect it will say that this
> example is not a tractable rule for OWL 2 (despite the title of the
> paper).

Hi Jeff, I didn't mention this example/way of approximating roles in
my previous emails because they require, additionally, some lengthy
explanation about when you can and can't use them without violating
the 'regularity' condition i mentioned......this regularity condition
ensures decidability of reasoning and that our reasoning techniques
work.

The thing is that, in OWL2  DL, you cannot use owl:TopObjectProperty
in subproperty chains -- you could do so in EL++, a DL described in

http://www.webont.org/owled/2008dc/papers/owled2008dc_paper_3.pdf
     Pushing the EL Envelope Further. Franz Baader, Sebastian Brandt,
and Carsten Lutz. In Proc. of the Washington DC workshop on OWL:
Experiences and Directions (OWLED08DC), 2008.

If you want to know more about this, let me know.

Cheers, Uli