RE: Defining cross products in OWL-1.1

Thanks, Jeremy!

Related to the "non-empty universe" question, I have just read your new
Issue 73 in the OWL-WG list:

  ISSUE-73 (infinite universe): REPORTED: Should owl:Thing be necessarily
infinite?
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-owl-wg/2007Nov/0396.html

  In OWL 1.0 Full, the universe is necessarily infinite.

  In OWL 1.0 DL, the universe is required to be non-empty.

  The compatibility between OWL Full and OWL DL could be enhanced by
requiring the universe to be infinite in both cases.

As a public comment again :): I remember that I have read somewhere (don't
know where at the moment) that people sometimes restrict owl:Thing to be a
finite enumeration of certain instances:

  EquivalentClasses(owl:Thing oneOf(x1 ... xN))

The idea, AFAIR, was that by this people can approximate closed world
scenarios in connection with OWL (owl:Thing would then for instance stand
for a concretely given database, i.e. a finite(!) set of data entries). If
this should really be a reasonable pattern (I never used it, so I cannot
tell for sure), wouldn't it be a problem to demand that the OWL-DL-1.1
universe should be infinite?

Cheers,
Michael

--
Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Tel  : +49-721-9654-726

Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, D-76131 Karlsruhe
Tel.: +49-721-9654-0, Fax: +49-721-9654-959
Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
Az: 14-0563.1 Regierungspräsidium Karlsruhe