Re: [OWLWG-COMMENT] Punning and the "properties for classes" use case

Michael,
You are correct in your understanding of punning. It is true that
punning semantics is strictly weaker than OWL-Full semantics and the
inferences you will get will be a subset of OWL Full entailments. But
what is the alternative? Without punning, any ontology where classes are
used as instances will not be allowed in OWL-DL and rejected by OWL-DL
reasoners. So you have to use an OWL-Full reasoner which means you are
stuck with incompleteness (I'm not aware of any OWL-Full reasoner) and
depending on which OWL-Full reasoner you use incompleteness come from
different parts (e.g. some reasoners doesn't support owl:sameValuesFrom,
others don't support owl:oneOf, etc.). At least with punning you know
what causes the incompleteness. I might be wrong but I'm not aware of
anything other than sameAs-equivalentClass (and possibly
equivalentProperty) relation that would cause the punning semantics
incomplete w.r.t OWL-Full semantics. I'd be interested in seeing if
there is any other use case where punning semantics does not entail
everything OWL-Full semantics does.

FWIW, punning has been implemented in Pellet for years and I don't
remember any of our users calling it "confusing" or "useless". I believe
it is more of a personal style choice to use punning (it might be
confusing for some people but not others). I think it is a viable option
for "properties for classes" use case (though I'd personally call it
classes as instances use case) because most of these use cases do not
depend on sameAs-equivalentClass relation.

Cheers,
Evren