RE: Some basic questions about OWL-Full

Pat Hayes wrote:

>>But if I have some arbitrary non-empty ontology O :=
>{A1,...,An}, then O
>>contains the empty ontology as a sub-ontology. So I would
>assume that every
>>statement which is entailed by the empty OWL-Full ontology
>will also be
>>entailed by O itself. And if the empty OWL-Full ontology would entail
>>contradictory statements, then /every/ OWL-Full ontology would entail
>>contradictory statements, and then OWL-Full semantics would be totaly
>>broken!
>
>Quite. Which is what Peter meant by "trivial". I
>am confident that this is not the case, but even
>if it were I would say they would indeed be
>broken, but because in that case the OWL semantic
>conditions were themselves broken. And not
>necessarily totally, since the next task would be
>to see how to weaken them so that they weren't
>broken. IMO they are too strong in some ways in
>any case, e.g. the intensional view of classes
>seems better than the extensional one, c.f.
>terHorst's version of OWL.

After understanding now that the OWL-Full semantics are (largely) defined by
a set of semantic conditions on the URIs of the OWL/RDF vocabulary, another
thing comes to my mind. There is a lot of new vocabulary in OWL-1.1 (e.g.
"owl11:SelfRestriction", "owl11:onClass"). And there are new combinations of
RDF triples, which, while not making use of any new vocabulary, have at
least to be seen as "special" constructs in comparison to OWL-1.0, like for
instance the RDF mapping of sub property chains. See table 2 in

  http://www.webont.org/owl/1.1/rdf_mapping.html

Shouldn't there be new and/or adjusted OWL-Full semantic conditions for
this, too? I have not seen them in any of the draft documents? And wouldn't
the addition of such new semantic conditions enlarge the danger of getting
inconsistencies in OWL-Full(-1.1)?

Cheers,
Michael

--
Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Tel  : +49-721-9654-726

Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, D-76131 Karlsruhe
Tel.: +49-721-9654-0, Fax: +49-721-9654-959
Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
Az: 14-0563.1 Regierungspräsidium Karlsruhe