RE: declaredAs

Roughly speaking, yes. A user well-versed in OWL-1.0 (DL or Full) coming
across the example I gave might be surprised by its meaning in OWL-1.1.
I realise that the model theories are compatible from a strictly
mathematical POV, but surprising users by changing the meaning of
already-defined syntax is likely to be painful.

> Punning is, as far as I know, strictly weaker than Hilog or
> OWL Full semantics.

Right, but it was a design goal in 1.0 to have the DL semantics as close
to the Full semantics as possible. Punning is a further divergence,
because it's strictly weaker. AIUI a Hilog-like semantics would be
closer to what Full does.

> There are many graphs that are consistent in under simple
> interpretations and inconsistent under RDFS semanatics. So
> either this sort of being rather different is relatively
> innocuous (at least ceteris paribus), or there's something
> else that distinguishes them.

The difference was the observation that it is desirable to have a close
relationship between DL and Full semantics, unlike simple vs RDFS
semantics.

Cheers,

Dave

--
Dave Turner  Cube T400, HP Labs Bristol, Filton Road, Bristol BS34 8QZ
davidt@hp.com          +44 117 3129104 (Work) +44 7962 811627 (Mobile)

Hewlett-Packard Limited. Registered No: 690597 England