Re: declaredAs

On 14 Aug 2007, at 11:52, Turner, David wrote:

> [...]

I don't know what you mean by "rather different". For me, for
example, "rather different" suggests *incompatibility*. Punning is,
as far as I know, strictly weaker than Hilog or OWL Full semantics.
Thus a reasoner that only respects the punning semantics will be
sound but incomplete with respect to the OWL Full semantics. They, in
fact, coincide in the absence of equality.

> and you can observe this
> difference via owl:sameAs:
>
> ex:A owl:disjointWith ex:B .
> ex:A owl:sameAs ex:B .
> _:x rdf:type ex:A .

Yeah, this was bandied about before in some form or another. I mean,
it doesn't really add anything over the observation that, under Hilog
semantics, if A=B then A iff B. (After all, A iff B means A & ~B is
unsatisfiable, and thus x:(A & ~B) is inconsistent....let's not get
distracted by irrelevant bits.)

> is syntactically invalid in OWL-1.0 DL, inconsistent in OWL-1.0
> Full and
> consistent in OWL-1.1 with punning (with thanks to Dave Reynolds)

There are many graphs that are consistent in under simple
interpretations and inconsistent under RDFS semanatics. So either
this sort of being rather different is relatively innocuous (at least
ceteris paribus), or there's something else that distinguishes them.
I don't know what that something else could be, so would welcome
clarification.

Cheers,
Bijan.