Re: declaredAs

>>>Nope, I don't agree -- I don't see this in the specs anywhere.
>>
>>Well, the RDF specs say explicitly that RDF consists entirely of
>>assertions, they give a normative semantics which defines the
>>assertions, and they do not mention declarations anywhere. Seems
>>pretty damn clear to me.
>
>Yup, if you're looking for "declarations", you might try to see it
>social wrappings around pure formal RDF. Like if I use RDFS/OWL to
>describe some classes and properties, then write that out as an
>RDF/XML UTF-8 document and publish it, then mail semantic-web@w3.org
>and say ... 'hey everyone, use my new ontology'. Perhaps after all
>that we could say the classes and properties have been declared? RDF
>no more has declarations than it has lies; but people can lie and
>declare using RDF.

I think you are mixing up asserting - a speech act, claiming a
sentence to be true by saying (or publishing) it - and declaring in
the sense I think its being used here, analogous to a declaration in
a programming language. The latter has some kind of special
significance for parsing and errors.

I agree RDF doesn't have explicit assertion or denial, etc., but
there is an emerging social/Web consensus that publication is
tantamount to assertion, which I think is what you are talking about
here.

Pat

><rdf:Property rdf:ID="permits"/> in an RDF/XML document
>http://example.com/somerdf ...might be read as somehow ensuring that
>the URI for the term "permits" that it expands to is new, previously
>unused, etc. And I guess this is why it gets seen as a declaration,
>since it gives (illusory) impression we can be sure that whoever
>wrote this is the first to do so. That assumptio is a mistake, since
>the interaction with xml:base allows pre-existing properties and
>classes to be further described via rdf:ID.
>
>cheers,
>
>Dan
>
>ps. testcase:
>
><rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#"
>   xml:base="http://creativecommons.org/ns#"
>   xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"
>>
><rdf:Property rdf:ID="permits"
>dc:description="assertions about cc:permits go here, but if anyone
>'declared' it, it wasn't me."/>
></rdf:RDF>
>
>gives 2 triples:
>
>http://creativecommons.org/ns#permits
>http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#type
>http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#Property .
>
>http://creativecommons.org/ns#permits
>http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/description	"assertions about
>cc:permits go here, but if anyone 'declared' it, it wasn't me." .

IHMC		(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502			(850)291 0667    cell