Re: declaredAs

Pat Hayes wrote:

>>> But rdf:ID doesn't get you *any sort of
>>> declaration*. It's *just a funny way of making an assertion*.
>>
>> Nope, I don't agree -- I don't see this in the specs anywhere.
>
> Well, the RDF specs say explicitly that RDF consists entirely of
> assertions, they give a normative semantics which defines the
> assertions, and they do not mention declarations anywhere. Seems pretty
> damn clear to me.

Yup, if you're looking for "declarations", you might try to see it
social wrappings around pure formal RDF. Like if I use RDFS/OWL to
describe some classes and properties, then write that out as an RDF/XML
UTF-8 document and publish it, then mail semantic-web@w3.org and say ...
'hey everyone, use my new ontology'. Perhaps after all that we could say
the classes and properties have been declared? RDF no more has
declarations than it has lies; but people can lie and declare using RDF.

<rdf:Property rdf:ID="permits"/> in an RDF/XML document
http://example.com/somerdf ...might be read as somehow ensuring that the
URI for the term "permits" that it expands to is new, previously unused,
etc. And I guess this is why it gets seen as a declaration, since it
gives (illusory) impression we can be sure that whoever wrote this is
the first to do so. That assumptio is a mistake, since the interaction
with xml:base allows pre-existing properties and classes to be further
described via rdf:ID.

cheers,

Dan

ps. testcase:

   xml:base="http://creativecommons.org/ns#"

<rdf:Property rdf:ID="permits"
dc:description="assertions about cc:permits go here, but if anyone
'declared' it, it wasn't me."/>
</rdf:RDF>

gives 2 triples:

http://creativecommons.org/ns#permits
http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#type
http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#Property .

http://creativecommons.org/ns#permits
http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/description 	"assertions about
cc:permits go here, but if anyone 'declared' it, it wasn't me." .