RE: declaredAs

Sorry to interrupt this fascinating conversation but I have a related
question... if I can speak in XML for a moment...

Are not assertions indicated by rdf:about, and declarations by rdf:ID? I have
the understanding that the 'best practice' trend has been to make all statements
to be rdf:about some subject, with an rdf:ID declaration of the subject treated
as, if you will, a virtual axiom.  Given this, I don't understand the need for a
new predicate that distinguishes between assertive & declarative axioms.

<Class rdf:about='yourClass'/>	<!-- an assertion -->
<Class rdf:ID='myClass'>		<!-- a declaration-->
  <subClassOf rdf:resource='yourClass'/>
</Class>

I don't know how to express this distinction in the triples syntax so common to
the postings...

Thanks for your insights Pat, Michael, Bijan et al. !