Re: declaredAs

>Hi Pat!

Hi Michael

>In another answer to Bijan Parsia, Pat Hayes wrote:
>
>>  I guess what I don't see is why these have to be syntactically
>>  distinct from assertions, though. After all, we have here a language
>>  whose business is saying that things belong in classes. And what we
>>  want to say here is... well, you get the point. Why not just have a
>>  special class of classes called "isADeclarationClass", which when
>>  asserted of a class means that saying that something is in that class
>>  is a declaration. Then your declaration classes can be my ordinary
>>  classes, which gives us a lot of flexibility, and avoids a kind of
>>  global ossification into a single built-in hierarchy.
>
>Hm, not sure if I really understand this idea. If I correctly
>understand you than 'isADeclarationClass' would be a specialization
>of owl:Class, i.e.
>
>    owl:isADeclarationClass ISA owl:Class
>
>And an axiom like
>
>    my:C a owl:IsADeclarationClass
>
>would then be a substitute for otherwise declaring
>
>    my:C owl:declaredAs owl:Class
>
>Is this right?

Right.

>But why then not just directly saying
>
>    my:C a owl:Class

Because this is merely an assertion, whereas the (same) assertion
involving a declarationClass would have the force of a declaration.
In particular, any inconsistency involving the declarationClass class
would be posted as a syntax error rather than a simple inconsistency.

Pat
IHMC		(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502			(850)291 0667    cell