Re: annotation properties

On 12 Jul 2007, at 11:22, Matthew Horridge wrote:

> Here's what I think the problem is....
>
> Suppose we have (in an OWL 1.0 ontology)
>
> <owl:AnnotationProperty  rdf:about="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/
> contributor">
>     <rdfs:label xml:lang="en-US">Contributor</rdfs:label>
>     <rdfs:comment xml:lang="en-US">An entity responsible for making
> contributions to the
>          content of the resource.</rdfs:comment>
>     <dc:description xml:lang="en-US">Examples of a Contributor
> include a person, an
>          organisation, or a service.  Typically, the name of a
>          Contributor should be used to indicate the entity.</
> dc:description>
>     <rdfs:isDefinedBy rdf:resource="http://purl.org/dc/elements/
> 1.1/"/>
> </owl:AnnotationProperty>
>
> This is an annotation property, which has annotations on it.  How
> do we transform this to OWL 1.1?  I couldn't see a way to do this
> last time I looked at the spec.  I believe that we need something like
>
> 'AnnotationPropertyAnnotation(' OWLAnnotationProperty(<URI>)
> {Annotation} ')'
>
> i.e. something like entity annotation axioms but for annotation URIs.

Or we could make annotationURIs a kind of entity.  Or just extend the
annotation axioms. I'd rather just have:

'Annotation('OWLAnnotationProperty(<URI>)  {Annotation} ')'

There doesn't seem to be a need for a completely distinct form of
annotation here.

Either way, it does seem to be a bug, assuming we're right that
there's no way to express it currently (the Annotation form certainly
doesn't seem to allow that), as:
	http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-semantics/syntax.html#2.3.1.3

clearly allows annotations on AnnotationProperty entities in OWL DL.

Cheers,
Bijan.