Re: AllDisjoint in RDF mapping

>Holger Knublauch wrote on Mon, 26 Feb 2007:
>
>>The goal should be to have some mechanism that allows users to
>>enter and display a disjoint union, e.g. in
>>
>>    A = B xor C xor D
>>
>>assuming xor represents disjoint union.
>
>Hi, Holger!
>
>Just a side note (a little offtopic): I believe that the above is
>not the best way to describe a disjoint union.

Yeh, this is an old trap. Binary xor is not associative, and n-ary
xor is not a composition of the binary operation.

BTW, I would strongly urge that y'all follow Jim Hendlers advice and
treat the assertion of the union and the assertion of disjointness as
two separate items. Note that in standard mathematical terminology,
disjoint union does not imply disjointness of the sets; a disjoint
union, standardly indicated by the plus sign, is also called a
discriminated union or a tagged union, and it contains two 'copies'
of anything that is in the intersection of the two sets being
unioned. Note that this (unlike what y'all are here calling a
disjoint union) makes no assertions about the sets, is a genuine
set-theoretic function, i.e. it is defined for any two sets, and it
is associative, so the n-ary case is gotten by composing the binary
case. These are all very desirable properties, which (I suggest) you
should not abandon casually.

Pat Hayes

IHMC		(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502			(850)291 0667    cell