Re: User-defined Datatypes: owl:DataRange vs rdfs:Datatype

Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

> The reference you give, among other things, says: "rdfs:Datatype is both
> an instance of and a subclass of rdfs:Class. Each instance of
> rdfs:Datatype is a subclass of rdfs:Literal."
>
> So the build in datatypes such as xsd:int, by this definition, would be
> a subclass of rdfs:Literal. However, according to [1] (OWL 1.0)
>
> Definition: An OWL vocabulary V consists of a set of literals VL and
> seven sets of URI references, VC, VD, VI, VDP, VIP, VAP, and VO. In any
> vocabulary VC and VD are disjoint and VDP, VIP, VAP, and VOP are
> pairwise disjoint. VC, the class names of a vocabulary, contains
> owl:Thing and owl:Nothing. VD, the datatype names of a vocabulary,
> contains the URI references for the built-in OWL datatypes and
> rdfs:Literal.
>
> If I understand this correctly,  it says that VC (the class names of a
> vocabulary) and VD(the datatype names of a vocabulary) are disjoint.
> That is, a datatype is not a class. Only classes have instances. So even
> for the built-in xsd:int, the statement from RDFS "xsd:int, is a
> subclass of rdfs:Literal" can't hold. And so user defined datatypes are
> no different than the builtins.

Surely VC here is the set of owl:Classes which is a subset of the set of
rdfs:Classes. The statement:

    xsd:int rdfs:subClassOf  rdfs:Literal .

can and does hold in RDFS, it is just that both of these are
rdfs:Classes but not owl:Classes. Such a statement is of course not
valid OWL/DL (and thus presumably not OWL 1.1) but it is perfectly good
OWL (with species type OWL/full).

Dave