Re: OWL "Sydney Syntax", structured english

Hi John --

You wrote...

 *Surely you don't mean to imply that I am not creating
> material aligned with TimBL's vision!*

 Far be it from me to imply such (:-)

*I am building (the second version of) an OWL ontology for legal documents;
> and I am annotating XHTML markup of public statutes and other legal
> material using a variant of RDF/A based on an ECMA syntax....  all vanilla
> but with a dash of nutmeg. See Legal-RDF.org for more information if you
> want.*

If you are building it by hand, more power to you.

If you are trying to extract it completely automatically using a
dictionary-based grammar of English, I fear that you have set yourself a
near-impossible task.

*Your approach sounds not vanilla at all if, indeed, you make the claim that
> there is "no vocabulary or grammar construction" -- I think that building
> ontologies is hard work! which, I am hearing you suggest, is an unnecessary
> task on the road towards fruition of the "vision". A little hyperbole
> perhaps?*

 There's more to be explored here, but writing the ontological knowledge as
rules in executable English means that you can run them immediately [1] .
On the other hand building an ontology in more technical notations that lack
well understood inference engines sometimes leads to the situation: Now
What?  [2]

*Anyway I suspect we'd agree that within document prose are definitions of
> classes and properties. *

Agreed

*For instance, our Constitution defines a concept called "Citizen"....
> should we ontologists be defining that concept within our
> ontologies, referencing our own definition in any annotations of the
> Constitution, or should our ontologies be referencing the concept as defined
> in that document? I think that the proper answer is the latter if,
> indeed, TimBL's Trust layer is ever to be more than a marketing idea.*

Yes, that's one aspect of trust.  I'd say that another aspect is that  a
reasoning system should be able to explain, in nontechnical English, how it
figures out  its answers.  Consider, for example, the consequences of  a
wrong "is transitive"  statement over the whole semantic web!

*Thanks,*
> *John*

                                   Cheers,  -- Adrian

[1]   www.reengineeringllc.com/demo_agents/SemanticResolution1.agent