Re[2]: OWL 2.0 ...

Hans,

I think you are absolutely right that spatio-temporal restrictions
have to be ubiquitous in ontologies.

Bare description logic is too little for real world reasoning.
For escaping fantastic results real world reasoning needs common
restrictions such as space, time, probability (degree of trust) and
even variation, emotionality, health harm, topic, culture, degree of
reality (irreality), security (popularity) etc

Reasoning rules between these categories should be defined and
standardized because of:

1) Many people will try to define such namespaces by their necessity

2) Such namespaces will overlap each other and create a mess

3) More straightforward uses in real world tasks become possible - so
more rapid adaptation to the Semantic Web

Saturday, April 16, 2005, 2:43:41 PM, you wrote:

> After  consultation with my companion Matthew  West I withdraw my
> request for a spatio-temporal entity in OWL 2, because it could make
> OWL unsuitable for non-4D  ontologies.

Anyway such 4D real-world extension should be developed.
OWL is in fact a set of restrictions above RDF.
So a language with some more extra restrictions could be implemented
as a new level of OWL

So OWL DL would rest for abstract reasoning (Description Logic)
Some OWL FL - for fuzzy logic (business statistics, science)
And OWL Pro - for special science uses (modelling, history, engineering)

So reasoners could support the level they can - just like for OWL Lite
and OWL DL nowadays.
More powerful reasoners that are aware of 4D can use several default
assumptions for non-4D ontologies, eg 'local space' and 'modern time'
and probability = 1.

Whether it could be in form a new OWL dialect or new super-OWL language
or simply a set of SWBPD Group tutorials I believe that its creation
is an important task of SW Activity

Excuse my possible dilettantism

Vale!
----