Re: question on primer example

Hi Axel,

> Hi Sebastian,
>
>> As far as your suggestion to use "all" instead of "some" is
>> concerned, this would not convey the intended semantics since
>> then all individuals which are *not* in a hasAge relation to
>> any value would be classified as teenagers (mind the somewhat
>> unintuitive interpretation of the "all").
>
> Why? If you refer to the last example in http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/REC-owl2-primer-20091027/#Advanced_Use_of_Datatypes
> "Teenager" is declared as a *subclass* of those with some (or as I suggest 'all') ages between 13 and 19.

Very good point. In my answer I was assuming the classes had been specified as equivalent (which would probably be more adequate).
I still advocate the "some" in the current modeling but I have to modify my argument a little.

> In the "all" reading, all I could infer is IMO that someone with an age out of that range would be inferred *not* to be a
> Teenager (which I find quite intuitive, but which wouldn't work for the "some" reading), right?
It *would* work for the "some" reading if "hasAge" is specified to be functional according to the following reasoning:
xyz hasAge 55 =(hasAge is functional)=> xyz has not any Age other than 55 => xyz has not any Age between 13 and 19 => xyz is not a Teenager

Indeed, it would not work without the functionality axiom.

> So, I don't really get it (maybe an embarrassing, temporary brain-malfunctioning :-) but happy to learn where my mistake is).
>
>> (mind the somewhat
>> unintuitive interpretation of the "all").
>
> Can you elaborate?
Well, put into model theoretic terms
(1) the "some" version requires all models to satisfy that every teenager must have an age (and furthermore this age must be in a certain range), whereas
(2) the "all" version allows for models that have teenagers who do not have any age associated to them, because the "all" axiom would not be violated by ageless teenagers.
To me, variant (1) seems to be more appropriate.

Best regards,
  Sebastian