Re: A Big Proposal: A way to control quality/resolution/framreate/simulcast/layering with RtpSender

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 9:49 AM, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 18 February 2014 17:17, Peter Thatcher <pthatcher@google.com> wrote:
> > As for priority, your "add bits proportionally" is exactly what I was
> > thinking, but, as you pointed out, it's "roughly proportionally", since
> you
> > can quite split up bit allocation that finely.  Whether a browser does
> it in
> > a simple fashion or with more fancy "curves" may simply be browser,
> codec,
> > and BWE dependent.  The JS gives the policy, and the browser does its
> best.
>
> I think that unless there is some amount of determinism here, we will
> leave applications doing funny heuristic things, browser sniffing and
> the like.  I understand that it might be hard to specify something,
> but I'd like something a little more deterministic than what you have
> specified.

I agree we should be as predictable for the application as possible.  But I
don't really know how detailed we can or should specify the implementation.
 That's probably a good item for discussion.

And, I should mention that I made this proposal as a starting ground for
discussion.  It's certainly not a complete specification as written.

So, let me add it to our virtual TODO list:
- Discuss how detailed we should specify the implementation such that
applications get predictable/consistent behavior.