Re: Competitions calendar

On 14 March 2018 at 09:59, Martin Alvarez-Espinar
<martin.alvarez@fundacionctic.org> wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
> Just finished the call [1]. Brief and no much to discuss.
>
>> > Suggestion: a unique URL (IRI) for each event. (I think it is 'url' in
>> > DB
>> > fields)
>>
>> If you mean "where do we find this competition's home page on the
>> web", link to the organiser's
>>

> No, different. I mean a place where I can find your metadata, once the
> organizer's page dissapears or change. I suppose it is already included as

Yes, exactly.  This is in place already and quite well
"usability-tested".  We can give guidance on choosing slugs, it is
generally based on the series of competitions.
For example a Surrey League Men, Division 1, Match 3 might be
slm-d1-m3.  It is not absolutely required "on creation" because the
form /x/<uuid>/ will work, but should be chosen before any promotion,
and recur from year to year.

> In this case, I miss another URL, which is the official competition
> homepage.

>> > I like this ^. The problem I see is the age grade. For instance, this is
>> > not
>> > popular in Spain, so it's difficult to measure.
>>
>> No problem.  Just ask them to self-rate.  We can easily provide
>> calculators as a side tool - we have one already.   An explanatory
>> page to link to...
>>

> Yes, some explanatory examples would be really useful for those who doesn't
> know it.

>> > Is this similar to disciplines? :
>> Terminology I am using is in this email at least is:
>>
>> Discipline: Tracj and Field, Road, XC, RaceWalking
>> Event Codes:   100, 200, 400, HJ
>>
>> Is the W3C spec 100% clear on which of these is a "discipline"?
>> because I am not ;-)  The sport tends to use discipline
>> interchangeably.
>>

> Me neither :-)
>
> I'll try.

OK, then we really need a totally new word for the main "divisions of
the sport" which we can use as a field name in this database.

How about:

"sport_division" = Outdoor T&F | Indoor T&F | Race Walking | Cross
Country | Road | Mountain Running

"event_code" is well defined in our standards and has validation code in athlib.

Thanks!

Andy