Re: Competitions calendar

On 14 March 2018 at 08:52, Martin Alvarez-Espinar <martin@w3.org> wrote:
Apologies, too busy/noisy for me to join today...

> Suggestion: a unique URL (IRI) for each event. (I think it is 'url' in DB
> fields)

If you mean "where do we find this competition's home page on the
web", link to the organiser's

>> Database fields
>> ============
>>
>> id:  we assign a UUID
>> slug: user may supply a short URL component which is mnemonic
>>
>> start_date
>> end_date   (if more than one day)
>>
>> entries_open_date:
>> entries_close_date
>> # OR entries_status = [NOT_OPEN_YET|OPEN|CLOSED]   ?
>>
>> names:   we think we need 4 fields:
>>    1. long_name, 2. short_name in each of:
>>          A. english
>>          B. local language (may be latin, Greek, Cyrillic, Japanese...)
>

> C.? -> ISO tag of the local language (es, fr, …)

Yes, makes sense.

>> description_text:  (english + local language)
>>
>> address    # geocodable string
>> city   # can be derived by geocoding APIs
>> country   # can be derived by geocoding APIs
>

> What about this similar structure for address? It will be easier to geocode
> afterwards.
> - streetAddress
> - addressLocality -> more generic than city
> - postalCode
> - addressRegion -> (for instance, state in the US)
> - country

Sure, very happy to be told what to do on this one  ;-)
Googlemaps geocoding API gives us

>> performance_level:   yes/no for each that is expected.  Some meetings
>> go all the way up/down
>>     - world class   (age grade 90% +)
>>     - national class   (age grade 80% +)
>>     - club class   (age grade 70% +)
>>     - active  (60%)
>>     - couch potato (50%)
>>

> I like this ^. The problem I see is the age grade. For instance, this is not
> popular in Spain, so it's difficult to measure.

No problem.  Just ask them to self-rate.  We can easily provide
calculators as a side tool - we have one already.   An explanatory
page to link to...

> What about a hierarchical structure of checkboxes? From the abstract (TF
> Throws -> parent) to the concrete (Javelin Throws -> leave of the tree).

Yes, good.  Sometimes we just know there is "Throws meeting", months
in advance, and which throws

>> events:   list of athlib event_codes offered.  May not be known
>>     # could be add two levels:
>>     # high level:  each event offered, comma-separated results
>>     # detailed:  events in each category, more detailed structure.
>>     #    could only be provided through some human effort or by
>>     #     entry systems.
>>

> Is this similar to disciplines? :
Terminology I am using is in this email at least is:

Discipline: Tracj and Field, Road, XC, RaceWalking
Event Codes:   100, 200, 400, HJ

Is the W3C spec 100% clear on which of these is a "discipline"?
because I am not ;-)  The sport tends to use discipline
interchangeably.

>> age_groups:  subset of U12, U14, U16, U18, U20, U23, SEN, Masters
>>    # we suggest to use the IAAF ones as an approximation, even though
>>    # many countries have their own systems.
>>    # adult looking for races can then 'filter out' kids meetings
>>    #  possibly accent parseable ranges e.g. "U14,U16" or "U16+" or
>> "M35-M60"
>>

> My proposal to be universally interoperable:
> - Possibility to select the IAAF + WMA categories by default.
> - If you need other category, several fields to describe 'your category':
>    - Your denomination + acronym
>    - maxAge, minAge
>    - gender
>    - other? (perhaps just text)
If we are trying to fully define a competition, we need this, and the
OpenTrack system is on the way to it.
However if we are just asking somebody else, who collected some other
directory in some other country, to identify kids or adults
competitions,

Maybe I am over-thinking - maybe just an age range is sufficient at
this level:  e.g. "this competition is for kids aged approx 10 to 14".
Lower age limit + upper age limit.     We can derive this from IAAF
age groups for those who use them.

A separate project might be to gather a database of the categories,
and names and definitions, used in each country.

I'll take note of any meeting minutes, and suggest something more
concrete in the next 2-3 days to get more detailed criticism.

- Andy