Re: OParl project for Linked Parliamentary Data [via Open Government Community Group]

Hi Andreas,

I added OParl's terms to this survey of terms used by different specifications: http://popoloproject.com/appendices/terms.html

For future reference, here are the locations of example OParl JSON documents within the specification at http://oparl.org/spezifikation/:

5.2.12 OParlSystem: an API implementing OParl
5.3.12 OParlBody: an organization like a government
5.4.3 OParlCommittee: a committee
5.5.3 OParlPerson: a person
5.6.3 OParlOrganization: an organization like a party
5.7.3 OParlMeeting: a meeting
5.8.3 OParlAgendaitem: an agenda item
5.9.3 OParlPaper: a printed paper
5.10.2 OParlDocument: a digital document
5.12.2 OParlLocation: a geographic loation (point, path or polygon)

From my reading, OParlOrganization, OParlBody, OParlPerson can probably benefit from the research that went into Popolo's Organization  [1] and Person [2] classes. If you want to use JSON-LD, you will need to match your properties to RDF terms, and Popolo has already done that for you. You would have to change some terms, like first_name and last_name, which are not very friendly to international users.

Also, I could not find the membership model in OParl. Popolo has a rich membership/post model that is very flexible and allows you to represent both historical and current information. If you intend to define such a model in OParl, I would recommend looking at how Popolo models it, as it has gone through several revisions and has learned from many people's experience.

For the other OParl classes, you may want to look at the other specifications referenced by the Popolo issues tagged with the label "New class" [3].

1. http://popoloproject.com/specs/organization.html
2. http://popoloproject.com/specs/person.html
3. https://github.com/opennorth/popolo-spec/issues?labels=New+class&page=1&state=open

Best,