From: Karl Grossner <karl@kgeographer.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 10:36 AM
To: Steven Harms <sgharms@stevengharms.com>
Cc: public-openannotation@w3.org
Subject: Re: Web annotations for physical texts

Thanks for this, Steven. Summarizing my survey of the situation...

I was a little surprised to discover this wording in the Web Annotation model spec:
“Resource: An item of interest that MAY be identified by an IRI”
“Web Resource: ...Web Resources MAY be dereferencable via their IRI.”

Given those definitions, passages and images in works and specific text instances are potentially annotatable. All that’s required is a standard form for the IRIs. And then, a selector for the Web Annotation model that identifies a page and/or an image on a page.

The most applicable thing I’ve found for IRIs is Cite Architecture CTS [1]. Documentation examples for parts of a text are all for ranges of lines. Apparently, one can define a TextInventory schema that defines other ways to refer to chapters, pages, and images, but I could find no specs or examples for that.

There is a further question of what response a system managing those IRIs should provide. All of these issues were tackled recently by a Pelagios-funded working group, “Linked Texts” [2][3]. They made progress I think, but their final report title is “Linked Texts WG: More Questions than Answers.”

For the moment, the WHGazetteer project will gather references to pages and images on pages in our own notation, then make some conversion when standards emerge for this process.

regards
Karl

[1] http://cite-architecture.org/ctsurn/overview/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__cite-2Darchitecture.org_ctsurn_overview_&d=DwMFaQ&c=OCIEmEwdEq_aNlsP4fF3gFqSN-E3mlr2t9JcDdfOZag&r=1SG5aXop0rkp_O1wnbIf7XweTLUSe9Z3aj8AqEIzm8c&m=hcScLmzYfns_LyNfq-y-ErKvKhW1A03gxWODuOku6lM&s=BVDN6vxgkSruyy_oo01Ve5d2OB97KbWTP-dqGocKLuk&e=>
[2] http://commons.pelagios.org/2018/05/the-linked-texts-working-group/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__commons.pelagios.org_2018_05_the-2Dlinked-2Dtexts-2Dworking-2Dgroup_&d=DwMFaQ&c=OCIEmEwdEq_aNlsP4fF3gFqSN-E3mlr2t9JcDdfOZag&r=1SG5aXop0rkp_O1wnbIf7XweTLUSe9Z3aj8AqEIzm8c&m=hcScLmzYfns_LyNfq-y-ErKvKhW1A03gxWODuOku6lM&s=ziLy0j0D7XiQYBS_bALW7_OsHx644CdfAErrsTjfonE&e=>
[3] http://commons.pelagios.org/2019/03/linked-texts-wg-more-questions-than-answers/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__commons.pelagios.org_2019_03_linked-2Dtexts-2Dwg-2Dmore-2Dquestions-2Dthan-2Danswers_&d=DwMFaQ&c=OCIEmEwdEq_aNlsP4fF3gFqSN-E3mlr2t9JcDdfOZag&r=1SG5aXop0rkp_O1wnbIf7XweTLUSe9Z3aj8AqEIzm8c&m=hcScLmzYfns_LyNfq-y-ErKvKhW1A03gxWODuOku6lM&s=oPg8awy7l7svMPxkX3iyJjlZUk0tWTipPwUUGKXsM5M&e=>