Re: Discovering Ontologies, or *gulp* Making My Own

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 10:52 AM Martynas Jusevičius <martynas@atomgraph.com>
wrote:

> have you looked at https://www.w3.org/TR/annotation-model/ ?

This is extremely helpful. I think it's about 50% of what I was after. For
further consideration, I'd like to build an example that builds on the
annotation-model.

We could imagine:

*Source*: "Mr. and Mrs Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to
say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much."

This (seemingly simple!) sentence could host a number of annotations. Each
is numbered with "Anno#" and shows a change to a specific "world" that the
annotation justifies.

Anno1: *CHARACTER*: Mr Dursley Exists // Instantiate an instance of
Character, male, name="Mr Dursley"
Anno2: *CHARACTER*: Mrs Dursley Exists // Similar to above
Anno3: *LOCATION*: Privet Drive Exists // Instantiate FictionalLocation (?)
Anno4: *LOCATION*: Number 4 Privet Drive Exists // Instantiate
FictionalLocation (?)
Anno5: CHARACTERIZATION: Mr. Dursley *considersHimself* "perfectly normal,
thank you very much" // Use undefined Ontology predicates to specify Dursley
Anno6: CHARACTERIZATION: Mrs. Dursley *considersHimself* "perfectly normal,
thank you very much" // ...as above
Anno7: CHARACTER-FACT: (CHARACTER) Mr. Dursley *livesAt* (PREDICATE)
(LOCATION) 4 Privet Drive // etc...
Anno7: CHARACTER-FACT: (CHARACTER) Mrs. Dursley *livesAt* (PREDICATE)
(LOCATION) 4 Privet Drive
Anno7: CHARACTER-FACT: (CHARACTER) Mr. Dursley *spouse* (PREDICATE)
(CHARACTER) Mrs. Dursley

The annotation model provides the ability to record the link between a *target
*and a change in the state of the "book reality" of, in this case, "Harry
Potter."

1. Is there an ontology that allows one to describe nouns like "Character,"
"Location," "livesAt," "isMarriedTo"? I realize that some of those
predicates e.g. spouse are covered by existing ontologies." Is it
appropriate to apply those to *fictional* universes as well?

2. Some of the fundamental ontology entities that an "Ontology for Fiction"
would need to define are clearer:

* Character-Fact: For modeling objective facts about the character
* Characterization: String which specifies the Charater's tendencies,
morals, etc.

3. If the "Ontology for Fiction" does exist...how did you find it? :)

4. If I need to define it, can the sages here agree that I've exhausted
options for using pre-existing work and need to undertake it myself?

Thanks for the help,

Steven

--
Steven G. Harms