Re: annotating csv

(My staff contact's hat put down...)

The CSVW WG is trying to work with 7111 indeed. There are some details to be clarified: 7111 works in terms of row and column numbers, ie, very much referring to the original CSV _file_, whereas the CSVW works on a more abstract model. The difference between the two is that whatever is header line, comments, etc, in the CSV file is, conceptually, pulled aside as, say, metadata, and the pure data is treated separately. While this makes a lot of sense in terms of model, it is unclear (for me at least) what exactly the row number is in terms of 7111: should it be the row number of the original CSV file, or the row number in terms of the data?

But that seems to be the only question mark. The intention is to make use of 7111 as much as we can indeed.

Ivan

> On 21 Jan 2015, at 22:11 , Robert Sanderson <azaroth42@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> +1.
>
> Jeni is on both 7111 and the CSV WG, so I'd be surprised if the WG came up with something completely incompatible.  We discussed annotations with the CSV WG at TPAC last year, and they're aware of Open Annotation and were interested in adopting it for comments about ranges of cells and so forth.
>
> Rob
>

> On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 1:01 PM, David Wood <david@3roundstones.com> wrote:
> Hi Ed,
>
> Modulo whatever the CSV on the Web WG does, sure. It makes sense to me.
>
> The worst case scenario is that you might need to tweak the URI later, but at least you know that you will, one way or the other, have a URI to tweak.
>
> Regards,
> Dave
> --
> http://about.me/david_wood
>

> > On Jan 21, 2015, at 15:52, Ed Summers <ehs@pobox.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > If I wanted to annotate a portion of a CSV using Open Annotation is RFC 7111 [1] an acceptable way to identify the target of the annotation?
> >
> > I guess some of this might still be in flux with the CSV on the Web working group [2] but I am curious if this might be a good way to proceed for a prototype.
> >
> > Thanks for any guidance/advice you can offer,
> >
> > //Ed
> >
> > [1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7111
> > [2] https://github.com/w3c/csvw/issues/9
>

> --