Re: Pattern for annotation on regions or objects?

Not an opinion on the "right answer", but some thoughts on the context
of the question ...

The relationship between a digital image and a real-world object
depicted in that image is also the focus of attention of the ad hoc IPTC
working group looking at image metadata for cultural heritage. It would
surely make sense for the approach adopted by OA to be consonant with
the IPTC approach. [1]  Personally I would prefer a strategy where the
annotation links to the URL representing the image, and this URL itself
dereferences to indicate the real-world object(s) depicted therein.
While this makes the link between source and real-world object a
two-step process, it is semantically unambiguous, compared with having a
pair of links floating about within the annotation which you are meant
to know have a special relationship.  How, in fact, would you indicate
this?  (Of course, it would also mean using Someone Else's Standard,
which no-one ever does. )

My second thought is that the demarcation of an area of an image is,
logically speaking, much the same process as marking out a section
within a text. While the means of doing so will be different, the
relationship between the subset of the resource so marked-out, and the
annotation, should be carried out in an identical manner.

Richard

--
*Richard Light*