Schrödinger's Cat and annotation dialogues; was Re: Use Cases

The Schrödinger's Cat issue is very interesting in another use case
likely to rear its head, possibly more aggressively, for document
annotation in any context requiring dialogues between annotation
producer and consumer. For resource quality control annotations, such
dialogues may be common, e.g. between a resource editor and the
resource author. (editor: "The author mis-uses 'kitten'  for 'cat'
throughout and it should be changed" ; author: "I decline to change
it. Instead, I have added to revision 2 a paragraph explaining that on
the planet Vogon, not cats live to adulthood.")

The problem is that an annotation <A> can easily refer to an
annotation <B> that does not exist, but which is expected to refer to
<A>. If <B> eventually has the box opened and it proves to be a
response to <A>, the annotation dialogue graph (given by "<X> responds
to <Y>" ) may have cycles in it.  This causes issues with SPARQL
queries, although SPARQL 1.1 addresses them [1].

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/sparql11-query/#propertypath-arbitrary-length

Bob

--
Robert A. Morris

Emeritus Professor  of Computer Science
UMASS-Boston
100 Morrissey Blvd
Boston, MA 02125-3390

Filtered Push Project
Harvard University Herbaria
Harvard University

email: morris.bob@gmail.com
web: http://efg.cs.umb.edu/
web: http://wiki.filteredpush.org
http://www.cs.umb.edu/~ram
===
The content of this communication is made entirely on my
own behalf and in no way should be deemed to express
official positions of The University of Massachusetts at Boston or
Harvard University.