Re: FYI: Public Draft of the W3C Annotation Working Group Charter

To add to what Bob said....

Besides the DataPositionSelector we don't have any that is currently in the
specs:
http://www.openannotation.org/spec/core/specific.html#DataPositionSelector

However, there are local implementations. For instance, I currently
annotate the latest 10 entries of a particular kind in the triple store -
same approach could be used with a SQL Database.

In that case the Selector can encode what is necessary to identify the
entries. So, leveraging selectors, I can say:

<sptarget1> a oa:SpecificResource ;
    oa:hasSource <host::database> ;
    oa:hasSelector <selector1> .

<selector1> a xx:SparqlQuerySelector ;
    xx:sparqlQuery "" .

True, the above target is dynamic but there are cases in which the tagged
has static nature. Example: annotate all the records in a database created
before 2000 and containing the symbol CompoundX with the note "The compound
name is now called CompoundY".

I do agree that these use cases might not be as widespread as the
annotation of classic web resources. And I am not sure on how much should
be said in the charter. In general, I would just make sure the evolution of
the model would not preclude mechanisms like the above. I feel it is very
unlikely unless the current model is completely revolutionized...

Again, robust anchoring is somehow orthogonal to this.

Best,
Paolo